If you are a senior or a person with a disability ,
You may qualify for New York City’s Rent Freeze Program.
Rent Freeze-comprised of the senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)
and Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE)-helps
keep housing costs affordable for seniors and people with disabilities by freezing their rent
To qualify for the rent Freeze Program you must:
- Be at least 62 years old, or 18 years old with a qualifying disability.
- Have a combined household income of $50,000 or less.
- Spend more than 1/3 of your monthly household income on rent.
- Live in a rent-regulated or rent-controlled apartment. You must be named on the lease to qualify.
What you need to apply:
- Government-issued photo ID.
- Your current and prior lease , signed by you and the landlord. ( Lease must be consecutive. ).
- Income documents for 2016 and 2017 for you and all other household members (i.e. tax returns, W2 , or 1099 statements).
- Social Security disability award letter (if applicable).
for more information , please visit www.nyc.gov/rentfreeze , or contact 311